A key figure in the development of the Brown County, Indiana artist colony, Adolph Shulz arrived there in 1900 and is generally considered to be the “father” of that group of painters.
He is known for his landscapes and also did portraiture. He was born in Delavan, Wisconsin and studied at the Art Institute of Chicago, with William Merritt Chase at the Art Students League in New York, and in Paris. He returned to Delavan many summers to paint. Around 1900, he began traveling to Nashville, Indiana and eventually moved there with his family in 1917. From 1925 to 1942 he exhibited at the Hoosier Salon.
Adolph Shulz also exhibited at the Art Institute of Chicago, Milwaukee Art Institute, and the Brown County Gallery Association.