Born in Terre Haute, Indiana, Ada Shulz became known for her impressionist paintings of mothers and children in outdoor settings, especially Brown County, Indiana. Her works, mostly painted outdoors, featured lush scenery and the warmth and sunlight of Indiana summers. Ada Shulz began her art studies at the Art Institute of Chicago with John Vanderpoel and Oliver Pennet Grover and then studied in Paris at the Vitti Academy. In 1892 Ada W. Shulz traveled with Vanderpoel’s class to Delavan, Wisconsin, where she met her future husband, artist Adolph Shulz. They remained in Delavan for the next twenty years and had a son, Walter, who also became an artist but died a premature death in 1918. In 1910 she and her husband began spending their summers painting in Brown County, Indiana. They moved there permanently in 1917 and helped to establish the Brown County Art Colony. The couple divorced in 1926.